Conduct Basic Fire Fighting
Unit Standard: 252250 NQF Level: 1 Credits: 3 Duration: 1 Day
Delegates will be equipped with the skills and the knowledge that is required to identify fire types, select the correct extinguisher and control fires in the workplace while also taking preventative measures.
The basic fire fighting course can (and should) be attended by employees responsible for workplace firefighting and appointed workplace firefighters.
This course is also for employees that want to gain more knowledge in workplace firefighting and basic fire prevention.
It can also be useful to have a fire marshal complete this course, as fire marshals will act as back-up for the appointed workplace firefighter whom has completed the Basic Fire Fighting course.
- Components required to sustain fires are identified
- Repellents used in controlling fires are identified and related to extinguishing fires
- Types of fire extinguishers used are identified and are related to types of fire
- Fire types – flammable liquids, gases, greases, energised electrical equipment
- Personal safety requirements are identified and related to fires and the use of repellents
Pre-Requisites Seta Accreditation
It is desirable for learners wishing to achieve this unit standard to be competent at:
- Read, write, & understand English
- Communication at ABET Level 3
- Mathematics at ABET Level 3
Identify the Different Types of Fires
- Cause of fires
- Classes of fires
Explain and Practice Fire Prevention
- Prevention of fires explained in relation to general and company specific procedures
- Fire prevention in relation to industry practices (OHS Act) and company specific procedures
- Consequences regarding non-adherence to safe practices in relation to organizational procedures
Operate Basic Fire Fighting Equipment
- Identify basic fire fighting equipment
- Operating and demonstrating basic fire fighting equipment
- Fire fighting equipment identified relating to specific types of fires
Perform Basic Fire Fighting Procedures
- Steps to be taken when fighting fires in accordance with organizational procedures
- Precautions to be taken when fighting fires in accordance with organizational procedures
- Steps to be taken when containing fires
For additional information on training programmes or a demonstration on simulators, leave your details.